Saturday, April 3

In Your Face! Strawberry Skin Care

Here in New Brunswick strawberry season usually hits full swing around Canada Day and maaaan we love our strawberries. Almost as much as we love our lobster. But lately with the beautiful weather and the subtle signs of Spring I could not resist picking up a quart of imported strawberries to indulge my berry fervor (imports, sadly, never as good as in season). Never being one to indulge immediately or waste, I decided to spare a couple of berries and dabble in some berrysistable skin care.

I have terrible, terrible skin. I'm 26 and I look like a pubescent teenager. I've had acne since a very young age and despite daily cleansings and numerous treatments, it won't pack its bags. And soooo many things affect it: diet, stress, certain female cycles, environment, etc. Because I have yet to find a skin care regime that completely eliminates the blemishes, I am willing to try different techniques to reduce the acne.

Hence the strawberries. Strawberries are bursting with acne-fighting properties suited for all skin types: dry, oily, normal, combination. Because they contain salicyclic acid, strawberries slough off dead skin (exfoliation!), open pores, clean them and dilate the pores to prevent bacteria from nesting within the skin. The anti-oxidants of strawberries repair damage to the skin and the folic acids promote new cell growth. Strawberries are also antiseptic and astrigent, meaning they tone and lighten the skin.

If you're like me and you have combination skin, strawberries are perfect because while the acidic properties exfoliate and clear dry skin, the high water content hydrates.

When it comes to using strawberries for skin care, recipes are simple:

Oily Skin: mash up some strawberries, leave on face for about 15 minutes, rinse with warm water

Dry Skin: combine 2-3 mashed strawberries with 1 tsp sour cream or milk and 1 tsp honey, again 15 minutes and rinse with warm water

Foot Scrub: 1 part strawberries, 1/4 part olive oil, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp finely chopped almonds (optional)

Mixtures should last about a week in the fridge.

Now, these are not miracle cures for acne. One strawberry face mask isn't going to disappear your blemishes. Most sources recommend using twice a week to see results. Thusly, I tried this for two weeks.

I noticed that the redness in my face had reduced but I didn't find my face any less dry than it had been. Of course, many outside factors also affect the condition on my skin. Overall, I found using these methods berry enjoyable!

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com - Header Illustration by JW Illustrations