Saturday, February 5

Food for Thought: Reducing Symptons of PMS

Men, avert your eyes as the women folk and I discuss the topic of PMS and its consequent and unavoidable symptoms. Simply refer this post to your girlfriends/wives/mothers/significant women in your life whose monthly sufferings cause you to swell with sympathy.

Women, periods suck.

I know for myself each month brings with it a grab bag of symptoms. One month it's the headaches, the next my stomach, another affects my moods. Sometimes I experience everything at once.

Weighing my options I came to 3 conclusions: a) medicate myself with over-the-counter remedies to avoid the unpleasantness; b) seclude myself in the wilderness until the symptoms subside; or c) use my new found motivation to eat healthier to find ways to incorporate food into my recovery.

Hence, this post will explore the varying symptoms of our monthly visitor and the different foods we can consume to help ease the suffering. At the end of the post I will provide links to websites that offer recipes to help relieve PMS.

1. Fatigue
Can't stay awake? Trouble sleeping? This is a very common symptom amongst women during their period.
What to eat? Foods rich in carbs (fruits, veggies, whole grains). Try to stay away from caffeine as it can increase other symptoms (such as bloating and anxiety).

2. Irritability, Tension and Anxiety
Probably why I've heard most men refer to PMS as "Pissy Mood Syndrome".
What to eat? Vitamin E. (kiwi, bell peppers, spinach, olive oil)

3. Bloating
Every month you swell up like a balloon and your pants don't fit.
What to eat? Water...lots and lots of. Drinking more water actually helps the body reduce liquid retention. Also try to avoid foods and beverages high in sodium.

4. Headaches
Because simply being a woman doesn't cause enough of these.
What to eat? Often times simply avoiding foods that cause headaches will help. Alot of times headaches are caused by other symptoms, especially those related to the stomach and anxiety. Try foods rich in vitamin E to stabilize estrogen levels (oatmeal, sweet potatoes, olive oil) and vitamin B to reduce stress (fish, broccoli, asparagus, banana).

5. Acne
The elusive "period pimple" as I like to call them...or just a general explosion of ick on your face.
What to eat? Drinking lots of water helps to clear the body of toxins that cause acne. On a non-food related note, keep your face clean and hydrated. If you are like me and develop pesky pimples, try a spot treatment on that particular area.

6. Cramps
Cramps can affect not only your abdomen, but your back and legs as well. They can also contribute to symptoms such as constipation or diarrhea.
What to eat? Foods that contain fiber, calcium and /or vitamin B6 help detox the body of excess estrogen. (sweet potato, broccoli, kale, oranges, fish, brown rice, beans)


I am not a medical professional, thereby my information is a culmination of research and experience. Please visit these websites for more information:

Recipes:


PMS Symptoms:

* EHealth MD - PMS Symptoms
* Medicine Net - Menstrual Cramps

Symptoms and Foods:
* Natural Counselor - Super Foodsto Reduce PMS Symptoms
* Natural Counselor - Natural Headache Pain Relief
* PMS Central - Fatigue

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com - Header Illustration by JW Illustrations